Building Use Guidelines
- Event coordinators must insure the event and provide documentation of insurance two weeks prior to event date.
- In addition to the Base Fees, the Culver Center of the Arts reserves the right at all times to assess additional fees as deemed appropriate to cover special situations. The charge rate begins upon first use of the building for setup, and ends when the security officer closes the building or, if during museum hours, until all clean up is completed.
- Presence of UC provided security personnel is mandatory at all events held at the Culver during non-public hours and will be charged at a rate of $25 per hour. UC security officers are under the direct supervision of Culver Center Staff, and only Culver Center personnel can give instructions to security officers.
The Culver Center reserves the right to assess any charges as appropriate to individual situations, including but not limited to the following:
- Security/Safety/Inspection costs: (including any required police or fire department personnel). Should an event require outside (City, County, State) safety or security approvals/inspections, the Culver Center will assess these charges as part of the Facility Rental Fee.
- Maintenance and set-up cost.
- Staff time for those individuals directly involved with extensive coordination and implementation of the event
- Scheduling Availability
- Applications will be reviewed and assessed according to space availability and Culver Center arts programming; University of California units will be given priority.
- All applications for events must be scheduled for times other than regular hours of operation (Tuesday-Saturday 12-5pm, First Thursday of each month 12-9pm, First Sunday of each month 12-5pm).
- Applications for events that require closure of exhibition areas during regular hours will not be permitted.
- Event set-up will not be permitted during regular hours of operation.
- No objects of any kind may be attached to the walls by any means.
- Tables/chairs brought in for events must have rubber/plastic padding that prevent damage to Culver floor. Event organizer must get approval from Curator of Public Programs for rental equipment.
- Any events involving dancing of any type must consult with the Curator of Public Programs in advance to ensure proposed use is appropriate for Atrium floor.
- Clean-up and removal of refuse from the event is the responsibility of the user and/or the user's vendors.
- The user is required to provide cleaning supplies including trash bags and paper towels for cleaning of the premises. Trash receptacles in the galleries and Atrium are available for user's use--however, the user must supply trash bags (for liners). All refuse must be removed by the user from the building immediately after the event.
- If the Culver Center staff judges that, due to use during an event, routine cleaning and maintenance is inadequate to return premises to its prior condition, special maintenance services will be contracted by the Center, and billed to the user.
Equipment for Events
- The Culver does not provide equipment for events. Any equipment required for the event must be provided by the user and/or its vendors. Delivery and pick-up of all equipment and other rentals must be coordinated by the user with the Culver?s Events Coordinator.
- All event supplies, equipment, and rentals must be removed from the Center's public access areas immediately following the event. All rentals must be removed from the building premises no later than 9 a.m. of the following day.
- The Culver will not be responsible for any equipment, materials or property of any kind left on the premises by the user or its vendors, although every effort will be made to secure user's equipment.
- Culver Center staff cannot assist in loading, unloading or carrying equipment to the area being used. The user and/or user's vendors must provide their own staff, dollies or carts for this purpose.
- In compliance with fire regulations, aisles between tables must insure free flow of traffic (at least 36??), and all doors must not be obstructed in any manner. All applicable building capacity requirements including fire codes and regulations regarding exits and entrances must be adhered to.
- Catering is permitted for events, but must be approved by the Curator of Public Programs. THE CULVER does not provide catering services and it is the responsibility of the organization using the building to make arrangements for all catering needs and services required for the event.
- The caterer(s) or individual(s) responsible for food/beverages within the user organization are required to meet with the Curator of Public Programs at least two weeks prior to the event to discuss logistics of preparation and serving of food/beverages within the facility.
- Food and beverages may be served and consumed in agreed upon fashion and in designated reception areas only.
- The caterer(s) or individual(s) responsible for food/beverages within the user organization must provide adequate protective covering for all the surfaces on which food and drink is served and consumed. Under no circumstances will beverage containers, paper goods, plates or dishes be placed near or upon any exhibition artwork, video or computer equipment, or exhibition furnishing.
- Cooking inside the building is not allowed. The Culver has no kitchen, cooking, or refrigeration facilities for public use. The caterer must supply all necessary catering equipment and supplies.
- No catering equipment, supplies, or rentals may be left on the premises after the conclusion of the event, unless with prior written arrangement with the Curator of Public Programs. The Culver will not be responsible for any lost or stolen catering supplies. These are the sole responsibility of the caterer or the user organization.
- The user will be responsible for ensuring that caterers clean up thoroughly. This includes depositing all trash in trash bags and removing them to containers outside the building and off the premises. If the Culver judges the clean-up and rubbish removal of the caterer to be inadequate, it will bill the user for any cleaning required.
- There is no smoking allowed in the building. Candles or open flames are not permitted.
- All beverages for events, including coffee and condiments, will be provided by the user. The user must also provide coffee makers, paper products, utensils, and coolers as necessary.
- Alcoholic beverages will be allowed only with the prior written approval of the Curator of Public Programs. No persons under the age of 21 will be allowed to serve or consume alcoholic beverages in the museum.
Utilities and Special Equipment
- The user must accept the Culver Center?s existing environmental conditions for lighting, heating, cooling, and humidity ranges, all of which are determined in accordance by standard museum practice and requirements.
- Any electrical equipment such as microphones, speakers, amplifiers, projectors, video and computer equipment, extension cords, generators, etc., must be provided by the user or the user's vendor and must be approved by the Curator of Public Programs.
Payment and Cancellation Policy
- A non-refundable deposit of 50% of the total usage charge is due at the time of execution of the building use contract. This contract must be returned no later than two weeks prior to the event. The balance of the usage charge and other charges is due and payable upon receipt of the invoice. (Checks are to be made payable to UC Regents.)
- The Culver reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel special events due to unforeseen circumstances; however, in such unlikely instances, the user's deposit will be refunded in full. Additionally, the user's failure to comply with any of the center's regulations may result in the center's cancellation of the user's event.
- The Culver has no private parking. Public parking structures are in nearby locations on Orange St. between University Ave. and Ninth St. and on Market St. between University Ave. and Seventh St. No validation is available for city parking garages. During business hours (8am to 5pm) a designated loading zone is available at University Ave., for delivery and pickup purposes only; all street parking is free after 5PM on weekdays. Parking on the mall in front of the museum is not permitted at any time.
- There are no public/pay phones within the Culver facilities.
- Public restrooms are available on the 1st floor.
*All policies subject to change.